The Catholic Schools Office values the significant contribution volunteers make to all our schools. Volunteers bring a rich and diverse mixture of culture, life experience and expertise from their communities.
They complement and enhance the student-centred care provided by our staff. Our volunteers enrich the quality of life for our students and their families and are in turn, enriched by their experiences.
To be a Catholic school volunteer you must be 18 years of age or older and have completed your schooling. You must be of good character.
To learn more about volunteering in a Catholic School, including child protection concerns and the Volunteer Code of Conduct, please access the Volunteer Induction Handbook https://www.mn.catholic.org.au/people/volunteer/
Registered volunteers may be actively involved in school activities where children are present. This may include (but is not limited to):
- classroom learning activities (e.g. Reading Groups, Art Activities, Maths Groups);
- excursion support;
- working at events organised by the Parents and Friends Association;
- school canteen;
- specific working bees;
- assisting with transport of students to representative events;
- specific request for administration support from a staff member (e.g. book covering);
- specific request from a staff member to assist at sporting events.
Volunteer Induction sessions are held at the beginning of each year and during the Kindergarten Orientation period. Prospective volunteers are then required to undertake the volunteer induction process including the following:
- Download & print the Volunteers Handbook OR Collect a hardcopy from the School Office
- Complete the Screening Page and return this to St Patrick’s
- Complete the Registration Form, which includes;
- Volunteer Policy Declaration
- Code of Conduct Declaration
- Working with Children Check (WWCC) Clearance (if required*)
These documents are returned to St Patrick’s and then forwarded by administration staff to HR for verification.
Applicants will receive an email from VERIFY NOW, instructing them to upload the required documentation for a MANDATORY National Coordinated Criminal History Check.
Once verified, the school will be notified that the process is complete, and volunteers are cleared to work. The applicant will also receive email confirmation from the school.